Sunny Pathway

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Definitions

Some time ago I diddled with ideas that began as skewed definitions. They're usually incomplete because they highlight only one aspect of a word. Eventually I often added additional definitions to highlight still another aspect. While rummaging through stuff yesterday, I discovered an old notebook. Perhaps some of you will find them interesting.


Paradox: defies logic; describes reality

Art: creating infinity within predetermined boundaries

Art: using that which isn’t literally true to reveal that which is true


The second definition of art is familiar to anyone who's studied either the visual arts or literature. It's fodder for a post in itself.

The first definition of art came to me when glancing at a pen and ink drawing of a flower in the most unexpected place. My attention was suddenly arrested. Confined by the size of her paper, her subject matter, and the limits of her medium, the artist created a world that took my breath away. Prior to that day I freely said I didn't understand visual art. Although my understanding is still woefully inadequate, I think I understand the driving force that pushes the artist to create. This is surely fodder for a post in itself, too, but I've said almost all I have to say on the subject. Besides, thinking about it is almost painful, almost visceral because it grabs me inside.

Have a good day.

No comments: