Sunny Pathway

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Deliverance: Launching Out on a New Journey

I’ve been attending meetings this week. Knowing in advance that this would be the case, I’d begun writing something so I could post it today. But I was so tired that I rolled out of bed late and decided to skip the morning’s meeting. That’s when I was inundated by multiple references to St. Patrick on television. It’s Saint Patrick’s Day!

St. Patrick is one of my favorite historical characters. If anyone exemplified God’s grace, he did. So I’m going to briefly share a bit in hopes of encouraging you to do a search on the man, and then I'll use him as a launching point for a few things from the conference.

Captured and enslaved by pagan Celts, St Patrtick learned the language under gruesome conditions before escaping to his family in England. Then, in response to God’s call, he became a missionary to the people who had imprisoned him.

He changed their culture. It’s not always bad to lose an ancient culture. Slavery and a whole lot more were abandoned. For the benefit of all, even those who objected.

It’s also true, as you may have heard, that much later the Irish saved western civilization. When the barbarians overran the Roman empire, they ransacked England and Scotland along with the rest of Europe, but didn’t get to Ireland. So Irish monasteries remained intact and the monks continued to laboriously copy the old manuscripts of our Bible and other documents. Although most did not read, some did. Christianity in Ireland continued under the influence of Scripture.

Historians focus on the civilization aspects of Irish achievements. But love for God motivated the missionaries who traveled to Scotland, England, and finally, continental Europe. It’s an exciting story. Without a doubt, they saved European civilization. They re-introduced the Bible and a Christian world-view because their goal was spreading Jesus. Makes me want to shout Hallelujah.

Meanwhile, it’s off to more meetings this afternoon and evening.

The meetings are about, of all things, deliverance. When I was a brand new Christian I taught a fourth grade Sunday School Class on the Exodus titled Delivered out of Bondage. Individual lessons went something like, Delivered out of Slavery, Delivered from Pharoah’s Army, Delivered from Thirst and Hunger, Delivered from a Life without God’s Word, etc. I’m not actually sure about any of the titles—that was a long time ago—but you get the idea.

It was good material, a good beginning in my Christian walk because there are so many applications. In fact, without any trouble I can apply it to Patrick and the Irish!

Some people expand the deliverance concept to individual bondage. They look around to see a hurting world in need of relief, sometimes from pains inflicted by cultural conditions, but often inflicted within a culture by imperfect people.

For some reason, this threatens some people’s theology. They might insist the Christian is without problems, without wounds because Jesus took care of it on the cross. Or, more realistically, they insist people should strengthen themselves so they can reach out by faith and receive the deliverance Jesus provides.

Well, Jesus definitely took care of our problems on the cross. His blood covers our wounds. He also wants us to strengthen ourselves in faith so we can reach out and receive. Look at Saint Patrick. He struggled with forgiving his captors until he finally received deliverance. Then he loved them enough to risk his life for them.

The Irish didn’t know how to call out by themselves to the God who loved them. They didn’t know about Him. But the Hebrews did know something about God and they didn’t know how to get out of bondage by themselves, either. While it’s possible to receive deliverance by ourselves, sometimes we need help. Our knowledge of God is incomplete and our faith is weak.

The Bible makes it clear that God wants to heal our wounds. David wrote, He restoreth my soul. (Ps. 23:3a KJV) More importantly, Jesus said, “Come unto me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls, . . .” (Mt. 11:29,29a NIV)

These are my hasty ruminations rather than the teachings of the seminar. I won’t try to share the teacher’s focus, because that’s his material, and much of it provides a new perspective. But I will share one thing he said yesterday afternoon. Deliverance isn’t an end; it’s a beginning.

I knew that but didn’t know that I knew it, and it was good to hear it explicitly stated. Deliverance from Egypt launched the Hebrews on a journey to the promised land, and that launched them on still another journey. That’s true of every deliverance. Deliverance from unforgiveness made it possible for Patrick to love and it launched him on an amazing journey filled with miracles of grace. Likewise, deliverance from horrific Celtic practices launched the Irish into a glorious heritage of their own. Think of it. Bask in the wonder of it all.

Meanwhile, I must be on my way. Blessings.

No comments: